Sport provides an important balance to the academic and cultural side of school life. It enriches the growth of the students, especially with regard to the acquisition of recreational skills, desirable social attitudes, fitness, emotional stability, teamwork, leadership and initiative.
The College has a strong record of sporting achievement which has produced distinguished sports people at a State and National level in just a short time, and a spirited sense of competition at all levels. The College provides high standards of equipment and coaching in Sport and Physical Education and guides the students in positive approaches to health, diet and fitness as well as fair play, commitment and teamwork.
The College is a respected member of the Sunshine Coast Independent Schools Sports Association. The fixtures contest athletics, swimming, cross country, volleyball, basketball, netball, tennis, touch football, soccer, softball, AFL, water polo, cricket, rugby and surfing. Within the School there is a popular Inter-House competition which centres on athletics, swimming and cross country carnivals.
These events encourage team spirit, friendly rivalry and broad participation.
All courses offered in Physical Education at St Andrew's are developmental and progressive in nature, they are strongly supported by technology and have been carefully planned across all year levels . This is to ensure that students have the necessary knowledge and skills to make informed and responsible choices regarding their health and well being in the area of physical education. Importantly it also enables students to successfully take on the course requirements in the Senior subject of Physical Education in Years 11 and 12.
Our programs aim to produce students who:
- Can understand the need for, and can use knowledge, processes and skills to make decisions about promoting health, participation in physical activity and enhancing their personal devlopment.
- Can draw conclusions, solve problems and make informed choices about health, physical activity and personal development.
- Can use their creativity to demonstrate ways of considering and resolving issues of health, physical activity and personal development
- Can use a variety of information processing techniques to analyse ways in which factors such as diet, drugs and physical activity affect health.
- Can demonstrate effective communication skills
- Are lifelong participants of Physical Activity
- Are critically reflective and self directed learners
St Andrew's offers a comprehensive curriculum program which encourages participation and recognises excellence. Students have access to a wide range of sporting and cultural activities which suit individual interests and talents, provide challenge and foster personal development.
Students in Year 11 and 12 can select the Senior Physical Education course in which they study in detail the sports of biathlon, touch, golf and badminton.
Visit the Sport section of our website to find out more about the different sports available.
For more information on the Senior PE curriculum please contact the College's Head of HPE, Mrs Sally Powell.